Vacancy title:Agribusiness Development Advisor
Deadline of this Job:31 January 2021
DESIGNATION: Agribusiness Development Advisor (01 position) DUTY STATION: Mbarara
AVSI Foundation (AVSI) is an international NGO with headquarters in Italy, which has been active in Uganda since 1984. Its current activities are focused in the areas of education, health, livelihoods, protection, nutrition and refugee programs in Uganda.
AVSI is implementing a 4 Years project – Till end of 2024 funded by the Embassy of the Kingdom of Netherlands titled “Skilling in Agripreneurship for increased Youth Employment” – SAY project.
The SAY Goal is: To contribute to increased agri-skills level and gainful employment of youth in the agriculture sector in Uganda
The specific objectives are as follows:
Specific Objective 1: Employable agribusiness skills levels of 10,000 youth 18-30 years old in target areas in Uganda enhanced by 2024. Specific Objective 2: Skilled youth (aged 18-30 years) employment in well-paying agribusiness jobs and self-run agripreneurship in target project areas of Uganda boosted by the end of the project (2024)
Specific Objective 3: Youth aged 13 Specific Objective 4: Enabling environment for market-responsive agri-skilling and youth gainful engagement in agribusiness in Uganda strengthened by 2024 The project will contribute to: Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands 2019- 2024 Multi Year Strategic Plan, Vision 2040 of Uganda, Uganda National Agriculture Policy 2013 and the BTVET 10-year Strategic Plan for Revolutionizing Skills Development in Uganda (Skilling Uganda Initiative) with a focus on youth.
It will furthermore contribute to the following Sustainable Development Goals: #1 No Poverty, #2 Zero Hunger, #5 Gender Equality, #7 Affordable and Clean Energy, #8 Decent Work and Economic Growth, #13 Climate Action, #15 Life On Land, #16 Peace, Justice, and Strong Institutions, #17 Partnerships for the Goals and will have a tangible impact to Uganda’s SDG report card.
AVSI is seeking to recruit suitably qualified personnel for the position of Agribusiness Development Advisor, to contribute to the implementation of the “Skilling in Agripreneurship for increased Youth Employment” – SAY project. Under the direct supervision of the Market Systems, Agriculture Financing & Linkages Specialist/Team Leader West (TLW) based in Mbarara and the Agribusiness Development Specialist based in Gulu, the Agribusiness Development Advisor will be responsible for implementation and rolling out of all agribusiness and agriculture related activities of the project in Western Uganda. Ideal candidate shall carry out the following duties and responsibilities.
- In liaison with the Agribusiness Development Specialist based in Gulu assist in developing the strategy and provide technical insights in rolling it out to promote Youth agripreneurship and business growth in the Western region.
- Work closely with the Climate-Smart Agriculture (CSA) Specialist based in Kampala to develop the Agriculture department of the project and roll out the sector’s strategy for project implementation;
- In collaboration the TL assist in developing the project plans and strategy in the region and provide technical insights in rolling it out as requested.
- Support agribusinesses to develop business and marketing plans in coordination with agribusiness owners/managers to achieve revenue goals.
- Offer agribusiness development services to agribusiness and youth agripreneurs in the farming zones
- Analyze the agribusinesses’ current and past budgets, expenses, sales, revenues, and product deficiencies in order to provide recommendations for business growth and problem resolution.
- Continuously participate in identifying new business opportunities that could impact on youth employment in agribusiness.
- Continuously participate in identifying areas of opportunity and develop strategies for Youth Employment in Agribusiness.
- Support internal reorganization of agribusinesses by offering on spot support and other advisory support services. Continuously assess and provide on support technical support to agribusiness and Agriprenuers; identify business growth and capacity needs; coordinate relevant trainings that add value.
- Create strategic partnerships with key business development service providers and other stakeholders to promote growth of agribusinesses (Access to Finance, markets, HRM, product development, Regulation/Registration e.t.c). Work with other business development service providers and other stakeholders to develop creative strategies to promote growth of agribusinesses.
- Provide training and other technical support services based on the needs of the agribusinesses and agriprenuers.
- Together with the team provide continuous mentorship and coaching to ensure sustainable growth of agriprenuer businesses.
- Represent and profile the project, its objectives, and results, in publications and presentations
- Coordinate closely with the team to ensure that other trainings are synchronized and adds value.
- Proactively engage in strategic thinking on how to make the program succeed.
Job Skills: Not Specified
The ideal candidate must hold a Degree in Agribusiness, Agriculture, Small
- Business Management or related field.
- A Master’s Degree in the relevant field will be an added advantage
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the field of youth in agribusiness, agriculture and or agriskilling and institutions capacity building;
- Experience in working with public sector, private sector, and agro-training institutes on institutional development or similar projects will be an asset;
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of performance of business units and/or regional/local or community socio-economic development projects is desirable.
- Experience in training, teaching or mentoring role
- Experience in Agriculture (agronomy) is an asset
- Resourcefulness, strategic thinking, creative problem solving, and basic financial management skills
- Strong knowledge of community participatory approaches and disaster risk reduction, climate change adaption, and mitigation measures
- Good team player with excellent inter-personal and communication skills
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel, internet)
- Excellent communication, including written and presentation skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and to make accurate decisions.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills – innovative thinker;
- Experience working with refugees and refugee hosting communities is desirable.
- Excellent planning and organization skills
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning skills and experience
- Willingness to be based in a rural setting with frequent travel within the implementation area.
- Proven proposal writing experience is an asset
- Cultural sensitivity, patience, and flexibility
- English fluency with excellent oral and writing skills is required. Knowledge of any other local languages (especially in Western region) is of added value.
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Application letters, accompanied with updated Curriculum Vitae indicating 3 workrelated referees, plus copies of relevant certificates, should be addressed to: The AVSI Country Representative, AVSI Foundation, P.O.Box 6785, Kampala, Uganda and sent to email@example.com by Thursday, 31st January, 2021 (5.00 pm), indicating the e-mail subject as ‘Application for Agribusiness Development Advisor - Kampala.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
AVSI Foundation is an equal opportunities employer and has a functional Child Protection Policy by which all AVSI staff and Associates must abide.