Vacancy title:Assistant Project Control Officer, Kampala
Deadline of this Job:23 May 2022
Closing date: Monday, 23 May 2022
Eligible Applicants: This Job Opening is available to eligible UNHCR staff members and external applicants.
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Assistant Project Control Officer is part of the multi-functional team. In coordination with DFAM’s Implementing Partnership Management Service, s/he is responsible and accountable for providing substantive support, guidance, and oversight on the effective management of the Enhanced Framework for Implementing with Partners (the Framework) as well as oversight on the effective management of Direct Implementation.
Complementary to programme management, s/he will support and conduct analysis and assessment of risks associated with partnerships and direct implementation, policy compliance, operational practices, mitigation measures and gaps and make technical recommendations or decisions in line with the principles of the Framework, of UN/UNHCR’s financial rules, policies and regulations and operational context.
The incumbent prompts partnership integrity and other safeguarding mechanisms for ensuring sound stewardship and accountability of funds entrusted to partners or through direct implementation arrangements (e.g. contracts for the procurement of goods and/or services) to ensure resources are used in the most efficient and effective manner to attain the best results for persons of concern.
The Assistant Project Control Officer will promote dialogue and consultations for strengthening partnerships and have frequent contacts with UNHCR colleagues, particularly project control and programme staff. S/he may have contact with external stakeholders, such as UNHCR-funded partners, auditors, oversight bodies, and host governments on matters related to partnerships. The incumbent will be mindful of all dimensions of partnerships in accordance with the Principles of Partnership, the Code of Conduct, UN/UNHCR’s financial rules, policies and regulations and other relevant documents.
In the Regional Bureaux, the incumbent works under the supervision of the Regional Controller. In the Country and Multi-Country Offices, the incumbent normally works under the direct supervision of the Representative or Deputy Representative, Head of Office or (Senior) Project Control Officer, as applicable.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Participate in the annual assessment and planning cycle.
- Assist with the review of project agreements, ensuring that they are in conformity with Country Operation Plans and UNHCR’s rules, policies and procedures.
- Assist with the formulation and implementation of a performance project monitoring plan in collaboration with the Programme Unit and MFT.
- Assist with the development of the direct implementation monitoring plan in collaboration with the Programme Unit and other relevant functions.
- Assist with the support of Programme and other relevant functions in the selection of implementation modalities.
- Contribute to tracking the management of a project and direct implementation risks in collaboration with the Programme Unit, and report major risks to senior management.
- Contribute to reviewing, analysing and verifying Financial and Performance Partner Reports (PFR and -PPR), and to checking accuracy and consistency between PFR and PPR, in accordance with partnership agreements.
- Monitor, track and verify that expenditure for direct implementation by UNHCR is in line with the approved budget.
- Conduct reviews of the internal control systems of partners implementing projects and provide advice as required.
- Provide input on identified variants, risks and issues to partners, Programme Unit and escalate to management as required.
- Support timely project closure in coordination with the Programme Unit.
- Provide input to the mid-and end-year programme review process on issues related to project control.
- Maintain professional relationships with partners implementing projects and UNHCR’s contractors.
- Keep up-to-date with all UNHCR rules, regulations and procedures necessary to perform these duties.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience Years of Experience / Degree Level For P1/NOA – 1-year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree Field(s) of Education Business Administration; Economics; Management; or other relevant field. (Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses Accounting; Auditing; Finance (CPA/CIA or equivalent); (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience Essential: Good knowledge of international auditing standards.
Desirable: Good understanding of the workflows of major Enterprise Resource Planning financial modules (such as PeopleSoft, SAP or Oracle). Working experience with accrual accounting (such as IPSAS or IFRS).
Functional Skills FI-Financial auditing PM-Project Monitoring FI-International Auditing Standards DM-Data Collection and Analysis CO-Reporting skills EL-Monitoring and Evaluation (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Language Requirements For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English. For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language. For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
Position Competencies: Core Competencies Accountability Communication Organizational Awareness Teamwork & Collaboration Commitment to Continuous Learning Client & Result Orientation
Managerial Competencies Judgement and Decision Making
Cross-Functional Competencies Analytical Thinking Negotiation and Conflict Resolution Planning and Organizing
No late applications will be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a written test and/or oral interview. Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Recruitment as a UNHCR staff member and engagement under a UNHCR affiliate scheme or as an intern is subject to proof of vaccination against COVID-19
Please note that the closing date for this vacancy is Monday 23 May 2022
Experience in Months: 12
Level of Education: Bachelor's Degree
Job application procedure
Click here to apply.