Closing date: 21 Feb 2020
Action Against Hunger is a global humanitarian and development organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger. We save the lives of malnourished children. We ensure families can access clean water, food, training, and health care. We enable entire communities to be free from hunger. With more than 7,600 staff in over 45 countries, we have reached over 20 million people in 2018.
You'll contribute to ending world hunger by ...
providing strategic vision and thought leadership, oversee the development, funding and implementation of the country strategy and the growth of program portfolio that effectively addresses the underlying causes and effects of malnutrition in line with Action Against Hunger's values, Programming Principles, and Strategy. You will play a key role in building and maintaining strategic alliances with multiple stakeholders including the private sector, government actors, donors and partners.
Key activities in your role will include:
- Lead the preparation, updating, implementation of the country strategy appropriate for the country and regional context in line with the Action Against Hunger global vision and mission.
- Oversee country programming to ensure the effective and efficient design, implementation and evaluation of Action Against Hunger programs and projects.
- Developing and enhancing relationships with influential stakeholders so that Action Against Hunger can maximize its impact on malnutrition and its prevention.
- Lead the preparation, regular updating and implementation of the security plan in line with Action Against Hunger standards and procedures.
- Maintain good working relationships with the Regional office and effectively utilizing Regional office’s expertise to optimize the country strategy implementation.
- Oversee and direct the appropriate mobilization, use and management of financial and logistic resources in the country office in line with Action Against Hunger policies and donor requirements.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining a positive and conducive working environment amongst all staff at country level to ensure a healthy and effective organizational culture.
Do you meet the required criteria?
You are enthusiastically pursuing a career in senior management
- You have a minimum 10 years experience in an emergency and/or a development context.
- You have at least 5 years of senior management experience.
- You have advance knowledge of donor guidelines and procedures.
- You have high level financial management skills and are accustomed to steering an organizational budget.
You are passionate about leading ambitious programming that has impact
- You are able to see past the inevitable day-to-day emergencies to set & reinforce a long-term strategic vision for the country office.
- You eagerly engage your teams & promote the development & implementation of innovative approaches to solve core humanitarian and development problems.
- You’re comfortable coaching & developing the skills of your direct reports, adapting your leadership to the context and the team in country.
- Your knowledge of the donor community ensures projects respond to the most pressing humanitarian needs & that activities remain compliant with grant requirements.
- You’re able to analyze changes in your context & discuss the implications with senior operational staff. You are comfortable communicating organizational decisions to your team & relevant partners.
- You intuitively adapt how you communicate context analysis, strategy, policies & procedures to suit different audiences - both verbally & in writing.
- You are diplomatic but tenacious. You recognize that advocating for change & innovative programming requires building strong relationships with donors, local authorities & other partners, while retaining the space to speak confidently about Action Against Hunger’s programs & our knowledge of the humanitarian/development needs.
Your work style builds confidence with others
- You are an astute negotiator and know how to reach Win-Win outcomes.
- You are a tactful speaker & expert listener.
- You believe that every problem has a solution. It is the way we approach the problem that makes the difference.
- You are able to remain calm under pressure and can easily adapt to changing circumstances.
- You are able to continuously motivate yourself and your teams to deliver high standards of work.
- You demonstrate strong self-awareness and are not afraid to take responsibility for your actions.
- You are ready and willing to integrate into hard working and fun team that believes in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well.
Our Core values.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA’s five core values
Respect- we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
Integrity-: we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work. conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
Creativity-we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
Excellence- we strive to provide services that meet and even exceed the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
Empowerment- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
Gender Equality Commitments
- Ability to foster an environment that reinforces values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, boys and girls regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect for all cultures.
Action Against Hunger values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These include but are not limited to: -
- Health Insurance
- R&R Breaks
- Paid annual leave (vacation)
- Training opportunities
- Child allowance
For an all-inclusive list of benefits check the Action Against Hunger Website
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the link below. All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated resume and both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. Closing date for applications: February 21st 2020.