Vacancy title:Data Officer
Deadline of this Job:31 January 2021
DESIGNATION: Data Officer (01 position)
DUTY STATION: Kampala
AVSI is an international NGO with headquarters in Italy. AVSI has been active in Uganda since 1984. Its current activities are focused on the areas of Education, Health, Livelihoods, Protection, Nutrition, Emergency programs in Uganda.
AVSI is implementing a 4 Years project – Till end of 2024 funded by the Embasys of the Kingdome of Netherlands titled “Skilling in Agripreneurship for increased Youth Employment” – SAY project. The SAY Goal is: To contribute to increased agri-skills level and gainful employment of youth in the agriculture sector in Uganda
The specific objectives are as follows:
Specific Objective 1: Employable agribusiness skills levels of 10,000 youth 18-30years old in target areas in Uganda enhanced by 2024.
Specific Objective 2: Skilled youth (aged 18-30 years) employment in well-paying agribusiness jobs and self-run agripreneurship in target project areas of Uganda boosted by the end of the project (2024)
Specific Objective 3: Youth aged 13 The project will contribute to: Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands 2019- 2024 Multi Year Strategic Plan, Vision 2040 of Uganda, Uganda National Agriculture Policy 2013 and the BTVET 10-year Strategic Plan for Revolutionizing Skills Development in Uganda (Skilling Uganda Initiative) with a focus on youth.
It will furthermore contribute to the following Sustainable Development Goals: #1No Poverty, #2 Zero Hunger, #5 Gender Equality, #7 Affordable and Clean Energy, #8 Decent Work and Economic Growth, #13 Climate Action, #15 Life On Land, #16Peace, Justice, and Strong Institutions, #17 Partnerships for the Goals and will have a tangible impact to Uganda’s SDG report card.
AVSI is seeking to recruit suitably qualified personnel for the position Data Officer, to contribute to the implementation of the “Skilling in Agripreneurship for increased Youth Employment” – SAY project. Under the direct supervision of the Monitoring, Evaluation Accountability and Learning Manager (based in Kampala), the Data Officer will be responsible for implementation of designated tasks contained in the SAY’s
Data Management Strategy. Ideal candidate shall carry out the following duties and responsibilities. .
- Support the MEAL Manager in the establishment of offline and online (on Kobo and ActivityInfo platforms) databases to capture all programming (process) and monitoring data
- In liaison with the MEAL Manager, support the development of data collection tools in line with Data Management best practices.
- Conduct timely data quality assurance to ensure completeness, credibility, and validity
- Support project staff in analysis of project qualitative and quantitative data in MS Excel and SPSS to aid inference of achieved results
- Support MEAL Officer in planning and collection of project data.
- Spearhead the upload and transfer of project data in Aidstream (for IATI reporting), Kobo Toolbox and ActivityInfo
- Support the MEAL Manager in keeping inventory of and maintenance of data collection equipment.
- Support the project staff in establishment and maintenance of project archive.
- Prepare data summary sheets for key performance indicators to inform progress on quarterly indicators and aid compilation of quarterly IATI reports.
- Provide training and other technical support services based on the needs of the project staff and partners in data management.
- Together with the team provide continuous mentorship and coaching to partner Data management teams.
- Represent and profile the project, its objectives, and results, in publications and presentations
- Coordinate closely with the team others to ensure that other trainings are synchronized and adds value.
- Proactively engage in strategic thinking on how to make the program succeed.
Job Skills: Not Specified
The ideal candidate must hold a Diploma or Degree in Statistics, Information Technology or related field.
- Competence in use of statistical and geographical information system packages and online applications Kobo and other ODK platforms will be an added advantage
- At least 2 years of professional experience in the field of organizational/project data management
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of performance of business units and/or regional/local or community socio-economic development projects is desirable.
- Experience in training, teaching or mentoring role
- Resourcefulness, strategic thinking, creative problem solving, and basic financial management skills
- Good team player with excellent inter-personal and communication skills
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel, internet)
- Excellent communication, including written and presentation skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and to make accurate decisions.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills – innovative thinker;
- Experience working with refugees and refugee hosting communities is desirable.
- Excellent planning and organization skills
- Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning skills and experience
- Proven proposal writing experience is an asset
- Cultural sensitivity, patience, and flexibility
- Required Language: English fluency with excellent oral and writing skills is required. Knowledge of any other local languages is of added value.
Job Education Requirements: Diploma or Degree
Job Experience Requirements: 2 years
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Application letters, accompanied with updated Curriculum Vitae indicating 3 work related referees, plus copies of relevant certificates, should be addressed to:
The AVSI Country Representative, AVSI Foundation, P.O.Box 6785, Kampala, Uganda and sent to email@example.com by Thursday, 31st January 2021 (5.00 pm), indicating the e-mail subject as ‘Application for Data Officer- Kampala.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
AVSI Foundation is an equal opportunities employer and has a functional Child Protection Policy by which all AVSI staff and Associates must abide.