Vacancy title: General Manager
Deadline of this Job:27 November 2020
• Reports to: The Artistic Director and Board Members
• Direct reports: Finance & Admin, Programming, Arts Education, Communications
Bayimba Cultural Foundation is a multiple-faceted organization that focuses on uplifting arts and culture in Uganda through cultural exchange and creativity. The Foundation hosts high-quality arts festivals, offers training courses and workshops for aspiring artists, and facilitates creative development. It strives to reach as wide an audience as possible, reaching all age groups and income levels. Bayimba is unique in its multidisciplinary approach combined with its engaging efforts to “explore and experience”.
The General Manager is to lead and manage the planning and delivery of the day-to-day operations, the related financial planning, governance and HR activity. To manage and develop the team of full and part time staff. To support the Artistic Director and deliver projects as part of the strategic development of Bayimba Cultural Foundation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• To manage the day to day administration of the Foundation including office management of systems and structures, internal communication, company information and overseeing the working environment, risk assessments, safety and security procedures.
HR and Personnel
• To manage the HR function for the Foundation, oversee personnel administration, including recruitment, induction, employment contracts and other issues, delegating to the rest of the team as appropriate.
• To oversee the Foundations approach to professional development for staff, maintaining records of staff training and working with line managers to identify suitable training opportunities for staff.
• To ensure that the Foundation is compliant with all appropriate legal and tax regulations.
• To ensure the Foundations policies are regularly updated, compliant, clearly communicated, implemented, and fit for purpose.
• To ensure the highest standards of staff and child protection and safeguarding.
Governance and Administration
• To manage board and subcommittee processes including the drafting of board papers as required, including agendas; to attend and minute Board meetings, and maintain board records.
• Contribute to the strategic process, implementation and evaluation of plans.
• To liaise with Government Authorities and other stakeholders, including preparing annual submission and providing any other information as required by the Senior Management.
• To support the Finance and Administrative Officer in legal and statutory matters relating to the Foundation and its subsidiaries, and provide support and advice for the Senior Management Team on such matters.
• To be responsible for ensuring all premises, staff and productions are adequately insured.
• To oversee the operational budgets, ongoing review of supply contracts ensuring both value for money and ethical and environmental standards are achieved.
• To fundraise, manage Donor relations and reporting in consultation with the Artistic Director.
• To work in support of the Artistic Director of the Foundation.
• To attend and chair weekly operations meetings.
• To attend regular Foundation meetings.
• Adhere to, and actively contribute to the Foundation policies, including Equalities (diversity, access, and equal opportunities), Human Resource, Environmental and Health & Safety.
• To maximize income and minimize expenditure wherever possible, without jeopardizing the quality of the work or the reputation of the Foundation.
• To act always in the best interest of the Bayimba Cultural Foundation
• Any other duties as reasonably required.
• 3-4 years’ experience working in management.
• Proven experience of HR management.
• Proven experience as a line manager: motivating, set clear objectives, providing feedback, use of performance management processes.
• Proven track record of managing, motivating and developing a wide range of staff.
• Experience of building management.
• Experience of preparing and negotiating contracts.
• Experience of procurement and resource management.
• Numerate and financially aware, with experience of budget management.
• Absolute attention to detail.
• A collaborative and ‘team player’ approach to work.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and good written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills and the ability to manage a busy workload, prioritize and work to deadline.
• Commitment to best practice.
• Ability to work with a calm manner under pressure.
• A high level of computer literacy and knowledge of IT systems, in particular with relation to Microsoft Office applications and email.
• Knowledge of equal opportunities practice.
• A passion or interest in arts and culture (specifically visual and performing arts) and the work of Bayimba Cultural Foundation..
• Experience of Arts management.
• Knowledge of both local and international Fundraising.
• Experience of working with computerized accounts systems.
• A commitment to arts and culture growth and sustainability.
• Excellent customer service skills, including ability to communicate with stakeholders and funders efficiently in a courteous, professional manner under pressure.
Terms and Conditions
• Hours: Full time
• Holidays (if applicable): 22 days per annum plus public Holidays
Rising to 23 days after two years’ service
Rising to 24 days after four years’ service
• Probation: 6 months
• Contract type: Three years
Job Experience: 3-4 years’ experience working in management.
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Send a CV and a cover letter to email@example.com