Vacancy title:Project Officers – Resilient Empowered Adolescent Led (REAL) Project
Deadline of this Job:10 May 2021
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Project Name Resilient Empowered Adolescent Led (REAL) Project
Title Project Officer
Functional Area Program
Reports to Project Coordinator – REAL Project
Location Yumbe, Adjumani, Nebbi, Travel Required Frequent across the Project areas of operation
Contract Duration 34 months May 2021 – February 2024
Effective Date May 2021 Grade
Plan International is an independent child rights and humanitarian organisation committed to children living a life free of poverty, violence and injustice.
We actively unite children, communities and other people who share our mission to make positive lasting changes in children’s and young people’s lives. We support children to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights to a fulfilling life, today and in the future. We place a specific focus on girls and women, who are most often left behind.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Through the RESILIENT EMPOWERED ADOLESCENT LED (REAL) Project, Plan International will partner with UNFPA and the Government of Uganda to advance Sexual Reproductive Health & Rights (SRH&R) and Youth Economic Empowerment (YEE) for out of School Youth in the 15 ANSWER Program Districts of Agago, Amuru and Lamwo (Acholi Sub-Region), Adjumani, Moyo, Terego, Koboko, Yumbe, Arua, Madi Oklol, Zombo, Nebbi, Pakwach, Obongi and Maracha (West Nile Region).
Further to this, the project will collaborate with the Office of the Prime-minister (OPM) – Refugee Department, United Nations Human Rights Commission for Refugees (UNHCR), the District Local Governments working closely with United Nations (UN) Agencies and other Implementing Partners supplementing governmental efforts. In addition, Ministry of Health and Ministry of Gender, Labour & Social Development shall provide technical guidance and support in Sexual Reproductive Health Rights and Youth Economic Empowerment (YEE) respectively.
The Project Officer is directly responsible for day-to-day planning and implementation of the Sexual Reproductive Health & Rights (SRHR) and Youth Economic Empowerment (YEE) components of this project. S/he is accountable to the Project Coordinator – REAL Project who is responsible for the delivery of the overall project results in line with project proposal within the designated districts and donor requirements. .
Dimensions of the Role
- S/he is responsible for the delivery of the SRHR and YEE components in the designated districts in accordance with Plan International’s values and behaviours, including gender transformative outcomes and Safeguarding of all Children.
- S/he supports the Project Coordinator in strengthening the community based SRHR and YEE programs for young people Out-of-School within selected beneficiary communities.
- S/he supports the Project Coordinator to ensure timely, effective and efficient delivery of planned interventions.
- Working in close consultation and with supervision from the Project coordinator, the Project Officer performs the following roles to implement the SRHR and YEE component of this project:
- Support in developing and implementing weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual project work plans, project activities and budgets.
- Prepare and submit to Project Coordinator high quality activity, weekly, quarterly and annual narrative reports for all completed activities.
- Coordinate effectively with Project staff including the Project Coordinator and Project Manager and other staffs to leverage efforts, build synergy, team work and deliver high quality project results
- Support tracking, monitoring, evaluation, documentation and reporting of project outputs, outcomes, impact or results and changes in close collaboration with Project Coordinator.
- Support effective project budget utilization, management and monitoring for activities directly implemented by Plan staff and partners.
- timely accountability for funds used to implement project in line with Plan international accounting policies and procedures and donor requirements.
- Assist in effective management of project resources including procurements in accordance with Plan International Uganda policies and guidelines and in accordance with grant conditions.
- Support with representation in SRHR and YEE District working group meeting meetings with Implementing Partners including UNHCR and other stakeholders at settlement and district level in close consultation with the Project Coordinator.
- Assist with project risk management in the implementation of the project to minimise their occurrence and possible effects on the project in line with Plan International Risk Management policy and project risk mitigation measures
- Ensure compliance with Plan International’s Safeguarding Children and Young People Policy and guidelines in all project activities
- target community members, children, families and key stakeholders within target communities at sub county and district level to participate in project activities
- Support the Project Manager and National Program Manager – Health in developing Concept papers/ proposals for funding opportunities.
- Performs additional duties as per the request of the Project Coordinator
Internally: This position reports to the Project Coordinator – REAL Project
The Project Officer (PO) shall work in close consultation and coordination with Project Coordinator. S/he is a key member of the Health and YEE Thematic area supported by National Program Manager – Health and YEE respectively based at Country office.
The Project Officer (PO) shall work in close collaboration with stakeholders at district, sub-district and community levels including Refugee Settlements. He/she will specifically maintain regular day-to-day working relationships with community based structures established under this project as well as maintain coordination and collaboration.
- Good communication skills (written & oral) in English and local language where assigned
- Excellent skills in documentation and report writing
- Excellent budget monitoring skills
- Strong skills in teamwork and networking
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills in multi-cultural contexts
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs including MS Excel, MS Word and MS Power Point.
- Able to ride a motorcycle and possesses a driver’s license MUST
Knowledge / Expertise:
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, Health Science, Social Work, Development Studies, Social Sciences, demography or population studies or any relevant field with wide demonstrated relevant experience in implementing SRHR, experience in YEE related activities is an added advantage.
- At least 3 years professional experience in implementing SRHR
- Demonstrated skills and experience in Health in emergency setting especially in SRHR area and knowledge in implementing YEE programs in emergency will be an added advantage.
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated experience in networking with other development partners in the field.
- Experience and skills in the use of participatory approaches and rights-based programming.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested applicants please visit: https://career5.successfactors.eu/career?career_ns=job_listing&company=PlanInt&career_job_req_id=40340