Job title: Senior Finance Officer - Maternity Cover
Starting date: 17 May 2021
Department: Arua Office, West-Nile, ZOA Uganda
Date of posting: 23 April 2021
Reporting to: ZOA Administrator - West Nile
We are here for our neighbors in need, who are suffering in this broken world.
ZOA, as an international NGO, supports people who have lost everything due to armed conflict or natural disaster. Together, we can come to their aid in emergencies and remain faithful to communities as they recover - providing new opportunities for them to help themselves again. The work of ZOA is coordinated from the Netherlands. We are active in multiple countries in Africa, South America, the Middle East Region, and Asia. We work with approximately 900 employees worldwide and with (local) partners. We invite you to join our team of committed colleagues.
In Uganda, ZOA has offices in Kampala, West Nile (Arua), Acholi (Nwoya), and Karamoja (Amudat). ZOA Uganda works both in relief and recovery on the themes of food security & livelihoods, WASH, primary/accelerated/vocational education, and conflict management with a special focus on land security.
ZOA is looking for a:
Senior Finance Officer - maternity cover
1: Purpose of the position
The Senior Finance Officer (SFO) will be responsible for assisting the Administrator in financial reporting and monitoring. SFO will also support the finance officer.
This maternity cover position is for 4 months, starting 17 May 2021.
2: Place in organization
- The SFO will be employed by ZOA Uganda and is line managed by the Administrator.
- The SFO will be based in the Arua office and will be travel regularly to our sub offices in Rhino Camp and Bidibidi settlement.
- The SFO is in regular contact with the Administrator, (deputy) Programme Manager, Project Managers, and Project Officers at Programme in West Nile.
- The position is recruited at Senior level in the ZOA Uganda Salary Scale (scale 4).
3: Responsibilities and activities
- Manage review of financial transactions and supporting documentation in an organized and professional manner;
- Ensure financial/accounting activity is carried out in accordance ZOA's field accounting policies;
- Review all payment requests, draft cheques, transfers and process wire payment;
- Provide support to administrator and project managers with regard to financial policies / practices and budget management as required;
- Preparation of monthly bank reconciliation;
- Prepare Journal Entries and finalizing all transactions and documentation related to the financial closing process each month;
- Maintain up to date softcopy and hard copy files of all deductions made e.g. With Holding Tax etc.;
- Prepare supporting documentation pertaining tax deducted at field level and ensure statutory deductions report is timely submitted to Country office to support processing submission of returns and payments;
- Keep abreast of changes in the finance sector such as taxation policies for compliance purposes;
- Provide technical support to the Finance Officer in troubleshooting system issues such as errors while posting journal entries;
- Compile project cash requirement for activity implementation bi-weekly and submit them to the D/PGM for approval;
- Support the administrator to review period reports on all projects;
- Ensure that ZOA finance and procurement policies are uniformly applied by all staff, in close liaison with the Administrator, Deputy Program Manager and Program Manager;
- Manage cash flow to ensure adequacy of funds at West Nile Program Office;
- Support audits taking place at both field office and country office where required;
- Prepare and maintain up to date monthly folders for signed bank reconciliations;
- Ensure digital and paper records are maintained and well organized and update the administrator on the same;
- Review weekly system ledger reports for the West Nile program and make necessary adjustments;
- Follow all procedures provided by the Administrator and the Finance Manager at country office;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
4: Characteristics of role
The Senior Finance Officer - maternity cover - will be based in West Nile office. Field visits to project locations may be requested to support programme teams on Finance Matters, or to address priority Finance issues. This will be discussed in advance with the post holder, so that full planning can be done.
The Role is 1.0 FTE ( 40hrs/week). Working hours are outlined in the ZOA Uganda Conditions of service.
6: Competencies - knowledge and experience
- Bachelor's Degree (BA) from a recognized University in Accounting/Finance or related field. CPA/ACCA part II level of education;
- At least 5 years of successful experience in a similar Finance role with an International NGO;
- Robust accounting skills and experience, including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheet;
- Excellent spoken and written command of English;
- Initiative taker, a fast learner and team player to fill the position of Senior Finance Officer - maternity cover;
- Experience in coordinating both financial and programmatic functions of Financial management in projects funded by institutional donor like EU, UN or USAID;
- Excellent reasoning ability in analytical and strategic thinking;
- Excellent knowledge of computer applications, in particular proficiency required in (Ms Excel, and use of ERP and SharePoint);
- Preferably some cross cultural experience in a development setting.
7: Competencies - behaviour
- Commitment to ZOA’s mission, vision and values (see https://www.zoa-international.com/corporate-identity/);
- Good interpersonal, organizational and intercultural sensitivity;
- Able to plan and coordinate and work in an organized manner;
- High integrity;
- Flexibility and adaptability;
- Able to work under pressures and meet deadlines;
- Able to work independently.
ZOA offers you a challenging job, an inspiring and motivated team in the programme country, and good benefits and remuneration which suits the NGO sector.
The role is offered on scale 4 in the ZOA Uganda Salary Scale 2021 (between UGX 1,384,000 and UGX 2,201,000 gross depending on level of experience).
How to apply:
If you are interested in this position, please apply directly via the form below.
CV’s of no more than 2 pages in length and Cover Letter of 1 page are appreciated.
Please provide at least 3 references related to your previous employment listed in the application. References of previous positions held should not be older than five years.
Only selected candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the process of recruitment.
Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
Application deadline09 May 2021 23:59