Vacancy title: Senior Scientist Statistician/ Deputy Head of Statistics
Deadline of this Job:08 July 2020
The Unit is an internationally recognized center of excellence with dominant research themes in the areas of HIV and emerging infections, vaccines and immunity, and chronic diseases and cancer. Through a multidisciplinary approach, intersecting basic science, epidemiological research, social-behavioral research and the conduct of new intervention evaluation studies, the Unit contributes knowledge on changing epidemics and diseases, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment, and prevention and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide. Following the signing of strategic transfer agreements between the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and the Medical Research Council (MRC UK), the Unit formally joined LSHTM on 1st February 2018. The exciting new partnership will boost research capacity into current and emerging health issues in Africa and throughout the world. The Unit is based at the UVRI Entebbe campus with established outposts in Kalungu, Masaka, Wakiso and Kampala Districts. The Unit is now seeking an enthusiastic and experienced individual to fill the following
position: Senior Scientist Statistician/ of Statistics(01Position)
Position Code: SSDHS-620
Reports to: Head of Statistics& Data Management
Duty station: Entebbe
Job Purpose: The position provides senior scientific oversight of statistical and epidemiological aspects of ongoing and proposed research studies, mentoring section members, management of the Statistics and Data Management section alongside the section head.
The job holder will provide statistical expertise and leadership during the development of funding proposals and scientific publications, and lead statistical aspects of the design, coordination, and analysis of research studies. As Deputy Head of Section the post will provide oversight, supervision, and mentorship to junior colleagues in the section, and contribute to operational and strategic management within the section.
Specific Roles & Responsibilities
- To provide statistical expertise and leadership during the development of funding proposals and scientific publications, and lead statistical aspects of the design, coordination, and analysis of research studies.
- To provide oversight, supervision, and mentorship to more junior colleagues in the section. •To provide mentorship and supervision of postgraduate and post-doctoral trainees
- To organize and contribute to the section’s teaching and training activities such as short courses and workshops
- To contribute to the section's collegial environment and academic activities including through teaching and training activities and participation in regular academic/journal club meetings.
- To contribute to operational and strategic management within the section
- To serve as an academic advocate for the section and as a senior Unit representative in interactions with national and international stakeholders.
- Oversee all data access and sharing, ensure formal material and data transfer or equivalent agreements and ethics approvals for sharing are in place before any data are shared with third parties.
- Review and input into internal and external grant proposals.
- Ensure appropriate contributions from projects are budgeted for in new research applications with support from Unit Research Support Office.
- Build research capacity in Uganda through training and mentoring junior staff, including MSc/Ph.D. students and post-docs.
- To engage with and contribute to the wider LSHTM community beyond the Unit, including as a Unit academic representative on the LSHTM IT Governance Board.
- Disseminate research outputs through high-impact publications.
- Collaborate with Unit and external researchers in a leading role
- Assist the Head of Section in other management matters, and to stand in their absence.
Note: Job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post holder may be required to undertake other duties which are commensurate with the broad responsibilities of this senior role within the section.
- A PhD in medical statistics or a closely related subject.
- Bachelor's and Masters degrees in Statistics or closely related subjects.
- At least 7years’ experience working as a statistician in clinical research and/or epidemiology.
- Experience contributing to grant writing and/or study protocols.
- Experience contributing to training and supervision, e.g. interns, diploma, or BSc degree students.
- Experience writing Data Management and Statistical Analysis Plans and presenting final study reports.
- Experience working with specialized database software such as OpenClinica, ODK, REDCap, Access, or similar.
- At least one research grant won as Principal Investigator is desired.
- Strong research profile demonstrated through substantial peer-reviewed publications in health-related research including at least 3 first and/or senior authorship in the last 5 years.
- A proven track record as main statistician on research studies and the ability to shape the design and analysis of ongoing projects.
- Contribution to internal ‘citizenship’, e.g. communication and engagement activities, committees, leadership of journal clubs, etc.
- Good understanding of the data management role and procedures in clinical research.
- Excellent statistical programming skills using STATA or equivalent statistical analysis software.
Job Education: PhD
Job Experience: 7 years
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
For detailed job descriptions and procedure for application, please visit the website www.mrcuganda.org/jobs
Deadline: 8th July 2020, 5:00pm.
The applications should be addressed to:
The Human Resource and Administration Manager, MRCI UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit,