Vacancy title:Sorghum Breeder
Deadline of this Job:31 January 2020
Makerere University has received a grant to support the establishment of the Makerere University Regional Centre for Crop improvement (MaRCCl) at the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences. A key goal of the Centre is to develop and deliver new varieties of tood crops through the use cutting edge science. MaRCCl now wishes to announce a call for applicants for the position of Sorghum Breeder. .
Key duties and responsibilities
• Initiate, collect, introduce, conserve, characterize and utilize sorghum germplasm in breeding program.
• Drawing up short-, mid
• and long-term plant breeding goals and objectives for the sorghum-breeding program.
• Designing plant breeding strategies for the short and long term goals and objectives including use of modern tools such as Marker Assisted Selection (MAS), Genome wide association analysis, and Genomic Selection
• Conduct participatory evaluation and/or breeding tor other various desirable traits needed in/by (food, feed, processed products, local and/or export markets)
• Contribute to productive and synergistic collaborative networking, regional and international to strengthen resource bases and multidisciplinary research
• Developing grant groiials to secure funding for conducting speci ch program in line with MaRCCl and Makerere University strategic vision
• Publish research findings in peer reviewed Journals
• Any other duty assigned by the director Makerere Regional Centre for Crop improvement (MaRCCl).
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
• Applicants should hold a PhD Degree in Plant Breeding, Genetics, Genomics or Molecular Breeding.
• Should have a minimum of two years demonstrated working experience in a related field and proven record of publication in referred journals.
• Strong statistical, biointormatios, and data analysis skills using tools such as R
• package, Genstat, SAS, TASSEL, GAPIT‘
• A post-doctoral experience in breeding and genomics will be an added advantage.
• At least 5 publications in peer reviewed journals, of which the applicant must have been the lead author for at least 2 of the papers.
• The applicant must have worked in repeatable breeding program for at least 2-years
Job Education Requirements: PhD Degree
Job Experience Requirements: Two years
Job Skills: Not Specified
Job application procedure
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should submit their applications together with Cvs and relevant copies of academic papers in sealed envelope addressed to the Principal, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Makerere University, P.o Box 7062, Kampala Uganda.
Applications should be hand delivered to the office of the Principal, Makerere University College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CAES) not later than 5.00 pm on Friday 31st January 2020.. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.