Vacancy title:WASH Programme Manager
Deadline of this Job:22 January 2021
Job Title: WASH Programme Manager
Reports To: Country Director
Duty Station: Kampala Supervisor
Duties: Programme Engineer, Sanitation Engineers, and Senior Programme Officers
Water For People is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) that works with people and partners to develop innovative and long-lasting solutions to the water, sanitation, and hygiene problems in the developing countries. The organization strives to continually improve, to experiment with promising new ideas, and to leverage resources to multiply its impact
The WASH Programme Manager reports to the Country Director. S/he will be responsible for managing all technical aspects of the Program, including participation to the Country's strategic plans, annual operating, and budget plans, monitoring of the plans, fundraising, communication, and reporting WASH Programme Manager will provide necessary support to program staff under his/her supervision as well as local partners to ensure that program objectives are achieved in due time. The WASH Programme Manager is a member of the Senior Management Team.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
Participation in Operational Planning
- Work with Country Program staff to develop work plans and budget in line with Water For People's overall strategy and policy objectives.
- Contribute to Water For People's overall program and policy discussions
- Develop household and school sanitation strategic plan
- Undertake any sector review and/or thematic research in preparation of the next programming cycle.
- Entertain relationships with sector players at the Regional and District level in need of water and sanitation projects.
- Strengthen relationships with partner organizations, the local private sector, and CBOS supporting WASH in all Districts and towns as well as Kamwenge and Luuka District.
- Identify capacity building needs of local partners and Town/District local governments and propose options of supporting them.
- Work with the team to identify partners/consultants who can contribute to the capacity building of staff and partners to ensure sustainability of supported WASH services
- Ensure that partners and projects are visited regularly and that they are provided with the technical and managerial advice and training that enables them to implement projects.
- Oversee the management of Water For People's Programme Officers under his/her supervision including orientation and mentoring.
- Working alongside Sanitation team to facilitate the development of sanitation businesses in Everyone Forever District, Identify needs, opportunities, gaps, and constraints in potential sanitation markets, models, and entrepreneurs, and provide mentoring and support to sanitation businesses.
- Collaborates with the Senior WASH Sustainability Manager
Advocacy, Learning, and Communication
- Develop the capacity of Water For People staff and partners to document their experience for learning and advocacy purposes
- In co-operation with partners, develop program work that contributes to Water For People's learning and advocacy agendas
- Promote a learning environment among Water For People's partners and staff
- Contribute to organizational learning by preparing and disseminating data, lessons leamed, good practices to Water For People staff, partners, and other stakeholders, and organize periodic organizational learning events to share best practices.
- With HQ support, develop, design, and administer an online database, on program learning and make it streamlined, accessible, and relevant across all Water for People operations. Increasing WFP Uganda visibility through strategic communications
- Developing articles, storylines, and pictures from the field.
- Produce issues-based stories for the website that communicate Water for People Uganda's priorities and objectives.
- Document knowledge products from the programme in the form of fact sheets, brochures to communicate and promote key aspects of WFP activities especially EF in Uganda.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Update and maintain the program reporting calendar.
- Prepare concise bi-annual and monthly reports for review by the Country Director and produce a synthetic and analytical progress report to guide management decision-making.
- Work with program teams to draft narrative and monthly financial reports which are consistent with project objectives and timelines, as well as for adherence to donor requirements
BEHAVIORS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Connect to Mission - Understand and embrace the mission of Water For People; work to connect day to day tasks to mission, can explain Water For People's purpose.
- Manage through Ambiguity-Can recognize problems or opportunities when they arise and act to resolve, readily formulate multiple solutions through problem or issue analysis, is comfortable making and defending recommendations,
- Demonstrate Cultural Awareness-Demonstrate a global mindset; value cultural differences and take into consideration in any given situation, move easily between people from different backgrounds and cultures can work outside comfort zone.
- Action-oriented - Recognize additional actions that will improve quality or facilitate achievement of outcomes; does not hesitate to do more than expected, but may overextend, see opportunities beyond job description and recognize those they can handle and those that require higher level input, think outside the box, anticipate how actions affect the team.
- Sense of Team-Build effective working relationships at all levels of the organization; align own behavior with the needs or priorities of the team, promote teamwork among groups, discourage us versus them thinking; know and consider the capabilities of coworkers.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Master's degree in Civil Engineering, International Development, Water Resources Management, Public Health, or any related fields.
- A Master's Degree in Business Administration or Project Management Professional (PMP) will be an added advantage.
- Ugandan Citizen Strategic thinker with well-developed planning skills.
- At least six (6) years in a similar position.
- Understanding of community level water and sanitation development, with at least six (6) years' experience. Experience in Tracking Budget Expenses and Grants Management. At least six (6) years' experience in project and personnel management.
- Fundraising and proposal writing experience.
- Experience in budget development and operations management, Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication and organizational skills Strong problem-solving skills.
- Self-starter and ability to undertake any tasks without intensive supervision
- Maintain sound ethical principles, integrity, and transparency of due process
- Common sense to make judgments about a situation requiring deviations from routine tasks.
- Fluent in English Ability to work in a fast-paced organization.
- Capability to manage multiple tasks and projects with multiple priorities
- Capacity to analyze and organize data and communicate results effectively
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative team effort.
- Must have well-developed written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
Physical requirements/working conditions
- This position will be based in Kampala, with regular travel to program sites in Uganda and, could include international travels.
- Ability to travel to project sites and meet with partners, as necessary.
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
For more information on Water For People, please visit www.waterforpeople.org